When you are battling Lyme and other chronic illnesses, you are battling inflammation. With a war happening inside, how do we fight back? There is a gut-brain connection, and what you eat can truly change the trajectory of your healing. I try and ask myself each time I am about to eat, is this going to fuel the fire or help my body heal?
Here are some ways to help turn your inflammation down:
1. Tumeric and curcumin are an amazing addition to your diet. I take Pure Encapsulations version.
2. Keeping a diet low in sugar is essential to keeping inflammation down. I personally stay away completely. I will have 1 serving of fruit a day max and keep my carb count low. I know you have heard this a thousand times, but also cutting out gluten and dairy will do wonders. Trust me! Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels, and if you don't believe me, ask someone you know with a chronic illness.
3. Omega 6 &3s! After hearing a top doctor speak about gut health, she said a 4:1 ratio is best. You can find the version I use here
4. Fermented foods - hand over the pickles!
5. Probiotics - these are a great staple for the entire family. Make sure you get a high quality brand that doesn't have bad fillers.
I feel fortunate because the second I eat what I am not supposed to my joints swell. If I didn't have this immediate reaction, I would probably be eating and drinking more things that cause my body harm and inflame my system. Eating foods with anti-inflammatory properties and avoiding those that cause it can help in your healing process.
Any tips for reducing inflammation? Comment below! I'd love to hear your tips and tricks!
BONUS: Smoothie Recipe
- Vegan Protein Powder (Vega Sport Protein)
- Splash of unsweetened almond or coconut milk- Greens - usually mix of kale and spinach
- I tsp of Spirulina
- 1/4 cup of organic raspberries
- 1 TBS of 4:1 Flax seed oil- Almond butter or Sunflower Seed butter